How do you keep bugs out of sweet corn?
Apply five drops of corn oil or mineral oil to the silks on each ear of corn. Apply the oil to the silks only after they begin to turn brown. The browning of the silks indicates that pollination has occurred. The oil will create a barrier that will deter insects from laying eggs in the ear of corn.
What do you spray on sweet corn for bugs?
You can spray corn plants with Bacilulus thuringiensis called BT. This insecticide contains bacteria that affect only the larvae of the corn borer. Your local garden center can provide you with all the information on approved insecticides.
What bugs are eating my corn?
Armyworms, corn earworms, grasshoppers and beetles are all bugs that eat corn leaves, advises the University of California, Davis. You can pick visible pests off the plants, but the damage caused will not likely affect your corn crop. Corn earworms will also feed on the ears of corn and corn kernels.
What can you plant with corn to keep bugs away?
Marigolds and Nasturtiums – These two flowers are must in all gardens because of their ability to repel or trap pests. They repel aphids, including corn aphids and other pests, as well as attracting beneficial bugs. Annual flowers – are often overlooked in a vegetable garden, but they are more than just beautiful.
How do you keep corn bugs free?
Rotate Your Corn Crop
- Rotate Your Corn Crop.
- Move sweet corn around in the garden, planting it in different locations each year — known as rotating crops — to avoid corn rootworms. …
- Choose Tight-Husked Corn Cultivars.
- Plant a variety of sweet corn that will grow with a tightly closed husk. …
- Weed Your Corn Diligently.
Does corn plant attract bugs?
Although pest resistant, both indoor and outdoor corn plants can fall prey to flying insects, most notably thrips. These small pests resemble small white or black flies or gnats, and their feeding can damage foliage or spread disease.
What is the best insecticide for sweet corn?
The Best Insecticides for Sweet Corn
- Sevin. According to the University of Kentucky, Sevin, also known as carbaryl, is one of the insecticides recommended for control of pests on sweet corn. …
- Permethrin. Permethrin is another pesticide recommended for use on sweet corn crops. …
- Bacillus Thuringiensis. …
- Natural Predators.